Saturday 7 November 2009

Epic blogging fail

So I guess blogging this year has been a complete failure - it started off well but it just kind of tailed away. I've identified several reasons for this:

1. My life is so much less exciting now that I'm no longer an Oxford student.
I had a summer where I did fuck all apart from sleep, eat and listen to TMS. Don't get me wrong, it was just the ticket having worked so hard for the last 4 years (and also the fact that my next chance to do this will probably be retirement in over 40 years time), but it yielded very little bloggable material.

2. My laptop and I went through a rocky patch then later divorced.
I started saying it was too slow; it crashed in a strop; I said "sorry, maybe we can work things through?"; it said "ok, as long as you don't mind me taking 20 minutes to open itunes, only have one tab open in firefox at a time, and go mental as soon as you try to change virus software." Needless to say our relationship never quite recovered. But now am shacked up with my newer, sexier model of a laptop with resolution so sharp it could dice onions.

3. Twitter make me distil my thoughts into a more terse and concentrated form, like poetry.
Ok, so clearly the actual reason for using Twitter more is that I'm too lazy to elucidate my life and emotions beyond more than a deliberately mysterious or ambiguous sentence or a shamefully vacuous thought (with pronouns, punctuation and actual substance removed of course). This obviously doesn't stop me incessantly pestering everyone I know to start using Twitter - in fact why don't you set up an account and follow me at www.twitter.com/jimzwall?

4. There are so many amazing bloggers out there why would anyone want to read my general ramblings?
They have no central theme apart from me: a dubious material at any time, and one very unlikely to interest most of humanity.

I guess what I'm trying to say is sorry. I'm now living and working in Wokingham in Berkshire - a nice little town near Reading, and if my life is interesting enough I'll post about it. More likely than not though I'll be blogging about more general things, for instance why I often am overcome with existential doubt in the dairy aisle in Tescos, why HMV staff dislike Bruce Forsyth and why I joined the Labour party because I thought their policies are shit...

No comments:

Post a Comment