Thursday 13 August 2009

Glastonbury 2009 Thursday

Ok, Glastonbury may have been almost 2 months ago now - but it deserves a post. Obviously I had an amazing time - I spent more time just chilling out around the Green Fields and the Field of Avalon this year rather than running from stage to stage like the previous year, I think this helped me enjoy the acts I did go and see a lot more (in no small part due to taking it easy on my feet).

Who I saw...

Stornoway (Myspace)

They're starting to get the press and airplay they deserve. Local Oxford band who I went to see these guys at the Jericho for my birthday back in October and they were simply awesome. They subsequently became the sound of my last year at Uni - framing it from October at the JT to June at the Avalon Cafe (and they got me through several Sunday afternoons of algebraic topology study in between!).

Maximo Park (Myspace)
We stood in the blistering mid-afternoon sun and avoided a stampede to see these guys - good fun though.

Liz Green (Myspace)
I went to see this girl on a recommendation from a friend's friend. It may have been beautiful acoustic music or it may have been utter shite - it was impossible to tell because her sound was terrible! Her microphone was turned down way too low for a relatively large tent. Having listened to her myspace since I really enjoy her music and would definitely go and see her again if I had the chance, but hopefully this time in a more intimate setting suited to her music, and not one where I was asked by a complete stranger if I had "banged a lot of girls" at Oxford.

Mad Dog McRea (Myspace)
We danced and capered to the reels of this West Country folk band. The have a cult following in Plymouth and it really came across in the atmosphere at the Avalon Cafe - pure Glastonbury, away from the main stages utter spontaniety, ridiculously quirky and bagfulls of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment