Monday 22 June 2009

Is it wrong to have a crush on an Archers character?

Is it? Anyway, haven't updated in ages...but I meant to post this at the end of June:

Anyway, I left Oxford on Saturday bringing to a close four often stressful but wonderful years. Walking through the Oxonian streets last week and looking at buildings I would never see day-to-day again tugged on my heartstrings, not so much tugged - it felt more like a trapeize artist was doing violent somersaults on them. On Friday we had a leavers' formal preceeded by a champagne reception. First of all this was my third champers reception in a week, to which Catherine sagely opined "You know you're at Oxford when you groan at the thought of another champagne reception". First of all I don't even like champagne, I have never understood why it has become the drink of high society: fashionable because it is expensive, expensive because it is fashionable. I can think of far more delicious things to drink. So whilst I'm drinking this stuff that I have to pretend to like in polite society the Principal of Somerville College DBE sweeps in and complements our respective choices of tie. In an attempt to show how consummate I am in such refined company I engage her in conversation. A cordial dialogue ensues during which one-by-one each of my friends effortlessly slink away. I expected her to flutter from person to person. She didn't. Awkward conversation ensued for several minutes during which time my glass was refilled 3 times by waiters.

Fizz going to my head. Sweating profusely. Awkward silence.

"Mrs Thatcher is recovering well." Dame Fi remarked. What do you say to that? To your college principal and a knight of the realm? "Shit, will she never die? I've a bottle of dom perrignon I've been waiting to crack out. I don't like champagne I just thought it would add to the gaity of the day when it comes." Instead the noise I make can best be described as a thoughtful hum, wincing as if someone were squeezing my balls. After what seemed like an hour but which was probably ten minutes, the catering manager saved me by informing us that dinner was "to be served shortly"

1 comment:

  1. HA! Nearly wet myself laughing! I began my time in Oxford having an awkward conversation with Dame Fi at Freshers Formal, tis only right you end it in a similar way...

    If she'd asked me about Maggie, though... I might have been kicked out before 1st week!! :S

    Also, love the CD - cheers captain :D

    ReplyDelete